Monday, July 13, 2009

Big D:Chapter 5: One road trip can changes everything.

Chelsea and I spent alot of time together over the next couple of weeks. She went with us on the road and was a wonderful distraction from the fact that when I returned to Dallas, I had some serious decisions to make. I headed to the hotel gym in the early morning before we were to head back home and saw Heather working out on the elipiticals.

"Hey babe, haven't talked to you in forever!" I said leaning on her machine.
"Hey," She said with little enthusiam.
"What's up with you, something wrong?"
"Ben and I broke up again, this time for good." She said with a shrug.

Heather and Ben had dated off and on every since she and I had worked for the team. He was a nice enough guy but I always thought he didn't fit with her. Everytime they broke up, she would end up with some guy more like me (which I warned her against)and they seemed to have a blast. But, they would start being flaky (as I predicated because again, they were just like me) and then Ben would show up with flowers and ask for another chance and she would give in.
"I'm sorry. .what happened this time?"
"He asked me to marry him."
"Holy crap, seriously?! . .wow. What did you say?"
"I don't really want to talk about what I said. But basically, he dropped me off, I gave him the ring back and I haven't talked to him since."
She sat on the bench, toweling off. She always been so beautiful and nice that it is wierd she still hadn't found "the one."
"Dan, it's just. . .I don't feel anything with him. The more time I spend with him, the more I feel ashamed because I don't feel anything because he feels that way about me so I think I should also feel that way about him!" She said, throwing her hands up with frustation.

"So you are done with him then, forever?" I said, handing her water bottle over.

"Yeah, I have to be. It's just hurting both of us now."

"So, you know Ben isn't what you are looking for. So, what is it that you are looking for, do you know?"

"Yeah, unfortunately." She said, getting up to leave.

"Unfortunately? Isn't it good to know what you are looking for?" I said with a confused smile.

"Not always, Dan. Not when who you are looking for is unavailable." She said, tearing up and packing up her bag.

"Who are you talking about? Someone I know?" I said with school girl-esque anticipation.

She looked up and fixed her eyes on mine. She opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out. When she opened her mouth again, she said,

"Dan, I can't talk about it right now, I gotta go. I will see you at the game maybe." She said as she fled out the exit door.

Right before the game, Chelsea informed me that she really hoped we could continue to date long distance when she went back home and wanted to know what I thought. I told her we would talk when we got back to town. Chelsea was the best looking girl in the arena that night but I couldn't stop thinking about Heather. Our conversation just bugged me because I got the impression that she wanted to tell me more but was holding back. And then I would think about Mandy. And then Chelsea.And then Heather. Before I knew it, the game is over and hadn't really even noticed two mintutes of it.

On the flight home, Chelsea sat with her dad and Heather was four rows ahead of me with an empty seat next to her. I wanted to go talk to her but she had her Ipod on the whole time with her eyes closed. I managed to catch up with her as she was getting into her car.
"Hey Heather!"
She turned and saw me. She looked sad.
"I was just thinking you and I could meet up for a drink or something this week. I, yeah, I found out that Travis is going to ask Mandy to marry him. Do you know that? Anyway, I thought we could have one of our good talks and you could help me figure things out."

"Yeah, uh, maybe. I don't know. Call me and we will see." She said.

"Heather, wait. Come on now. We've been friends practically our whole lives. You are obviously upset. So tell me, who is this guy that you are wanting?" I held her arm gently to stop her retreat to her car. She just looked at me and started crying and then I knew. She was talking about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment