Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Chapter 3:BBQ



Chapter 3: BBQ

“So, you finally made it.” She said as she made her way over next to me at the burger table.

“Yeah, well, Joey got hurt last night so I was up late dealing with that and then I got stuck in traffic this morning—“

“Uh-huh.” She interrupted.

“So, how are things with good ol boy, Travis?” I said while applying mayo neatly to a bun.

“Things are fine. Why do you ask? “ Mandy said.

" I still care about you. I am still concerned about what is going on with you. But, you know, you want to settle with a guy like that, that’s your choice—“

“Here we go—“ Mandy said.

“What?! Come on, Mandy, he is just so different than I am. I mean, the guy’s idea of living on the edge is deciding to skip monday night television. He’s nice and all but –“

“That’s right, Dan. He’s nice. He shows up when he says he is going to show up. I can count on him to answer his phone when I call. He has picture of me in his office.”

“I had a picture of you in my office too.” I said.

“No, you had a picture of you and I. And it was a picture taken at 3 Forks the day the you signed Darius to the team. It was also the day we closed on our first home. But, you know what, Dan? When people would see that picture and make a comment about how pretty I am or how happy we look together, you know what you would always say? You would say, “That is the day we got Darius.” You never said, “That is day my beautiful wife and I closed on our first home together.”

Just then my mother walked up on us.

“Hey Mom.” I said cheerfully.

“Oh, cut the crap, I know you two are over here arguing. I thought I would come interrupt before anyone else notices. Now, come back over to the table and try to enjoy yourselves.” My mother said with a smile.

“No one will ever love you as much as I love you, Mandy. And if I recall, it was my stuff in boxes on the front porch of our lovely first home together. I didn’t ask for that. You decided that for me.” I said.

Now Travis was calling and waving Mandy over to the table.

“ I love you, Dan. I loved you enough to let you go.” Mandy said and started back to the party.

I said, "What's that supposed to mean?" but she just kept walking.

“There’s my beautiful lady.” Travis said.

Yeah, that's right, cousin. Keep saying stuff like that and see how far you get, I think to myself.

“So, everybody, I wanted to take a moment to recognize my lovely aunt’s birthday. She has always been there for me. She was right there on the front row of Texas Stadium when we won the 1996 state championship against the Camp Sweeney Cougars, cheering me and her boys on. Happy birthday, Shari.” Travis said.

“Thank you, Travis. That is very sweet of you.” My mom said.

There it is, Travis! I knew you couldn't resist! I thought.

"I also would like to make a very special announcement. I have been offered a job with a 5A school out in west texas as their head football coach and will be moving there at the end of this month."

"Congratulations! That's great! Wow, cool! " Everyone cheered.

"Wait, wait. That is not the best part. The best part is that I have asked Mandy to move there with me and she has agreed!

While Mandy smiled and accepted everyone's congratulations and I caught my mother's eye.

"I think that's my cue." I said to her.

"Honey, nothing is the end of the world. This is all gonna work out in the end." She said softly.

"I know. I will see you later. I gotta check on one of the player's."

I drove away from my brother's trying to take in what I just heard. I didn't know where to go, what to do next or what. About 10 minutes later, I got a text.

I didn't know he was going to say anything today. I wanted to tell you myself. I'm sorry. - Mandy.

I slammed my blackberry into the steering wheel a few times. When I realized it was still intact, I figured out the very next thing I wanted to do.

"Chelsea, it's Dan. I will pick you up at your place at seven."

1. Brother Caleb is going to give Dan some brotherly advice in the next chapter regarding his relationships and his life. What do you think his advice should be for Dan at this point? Should he forget all about Mandy and support her decision to move away with Travis? What about his job? Do you think Dan should do something else with his life to save his relationship with Mandy or do you think that is unfair to Dan? I'm curious to know what a male reader would say as opposed to my female readers. I have a feeling their answers would be different ;)

Any other suggestions about the story would be great here. This is a big turning point!! Thanks for following along guys. Sorry this one was a little late!

2 comments:

  1. Caleb tells his brother to let Mandy go and he sets Dan up with a member of his congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb tells his brother to let Mandy go. Dan goes on an awesome date with Chelsea, who understands Dan and his work. After a week of getting closer to Chelsea, Mandy approaches Dan about regrets she has from leaving him (before she moves to BFE with Travis). Dan then has a tough choice . . . I don't know I'm not good at this, but I don't think Dan should get a new job to please Mandy. A woman can't expect to change a man, she's got to accept him for who he is.

    ReplyDelete